POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer science : Computer science Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Computer science
From: Darren New
Date: 24 May 2009 16:54:16
Message: <4a19b3f8$1@news.povray.org>
Is there any other field of endeavor where a phrase like
"""
Like all of my examples it's one of those super-simple examples; small
enough to be unreal, but hopefully enough for you to visualize what's going
on without falling into the bog of a real example.
"""
is common?  Where people teach principles with overly-simplified and
unrealistic bits because doing it for real is too obscure?

I mean, it's like saying "here we have Literature 101 class, where we don't
read actual books, but just abstracts, because the real books are too long."
Or "here we're going to look at line drawings of injuries, because looking
at real injuries is too complicated for teaching medicine."

Maybe grade-school science works that way? But that isn't really teaching
science as much as it's teaching results, IME.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)